This intense and delicious chutney pairs well with richer cheeses and of course, Colin's 'Pushing the Boat Out' cheeseboard
Apple and date chutney
- 225g cooking apples, grated
- 225g chopped dates
- 225g white onion, grated
- 225g sultanas
- 225g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 575ml white wine vinegar
- Spice bag (1tsp each of powered ginger, cinnamon, star anise and clove wrapped into a muslin cloth tied with string)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then add the spice bag. Cover and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Sterilise several glass jars by washing in hot water and then placing in an oven at 200C for 20 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag and decant the mixture into the jars. Leave for three to four weeks before eating.