Cullen skink is a thick Scottish soup made of smoked haddock, potatoes and onions, and is perfect for dipping your Stockan's oatcakes.
450g (1lb) floury potatoes cooked and cubed
50g (2ozs) butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
450g (1lb) smoked haddock fillet (skinned)
750mls whole milk
75mls double cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
Freshly chopped chives and parsley to garnish
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water until tender, drain and set aside, cut into cubes when cool.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onion until soft.
- Lay the fish fillets on top of the onions, pour over the milk, bring to the boil then simmer gently for ten minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, break the fish into large chunks, add the potatoes, stir, then simmer for a further five minutes.
- Add the double cream, stir, reheat, season then serve.
- Garnish with the chopped chive and parsley, serve with Stockan's thick oatcakes, these are made with course oatmeal and will compliment the dish perfectly.
(Tip) If a thicker soup is required, add a little more mashed potato as well as the cubes as stage 4 of the process.